Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Justified Moan

I’m writing this after the F.A. Cup tie against Leeds United and I feel, whilst this season has seen wonder after wonder and out-joyed (if there is such a word) anything that could possibly happen in my wildest dreams, that I am justified in having a moan about the crock of shite that this match was.

No word was given on the team selection before the match day, so I shelled out 34 quid for two tickets to find that the selected team was the second string. Even so, we were comfortable at 1-0, and though the standard of football was pitiful, this result would have kept me moanless. Paul Jewell however changed all that. Now, I normally stand up for him, he knows a good player when he sees one and when people complain if we play bad, I stick up for him, knowing the dross we’ve had to endure in the past.

So if he’s resting his first team, why bring them on? Like I said, we were comfortable at 1-0. If fresh impetus is needed, one or two subs will suffice. A manager making three substitutions is normally forced into it to salvage a game or through injuries. So on came three first teamers, supposedly being rested, and Ryan Taylor gets injured. We now have to play the last 18 minutes with ten men, two of whom, due to dropping back to form a 4-4-1 are out of position. This gives Leeds the impetus as everytime we win the ball, we have no outlet as Jason Roberts is up front on his own. The added pressure on the defence eventually tells and Leeds score.

Now I still might keep my gob shut and not complain, but Jewell doesn’t hold his hands up and admit a mistake, instead he says: “We are disappointed with the goal they scored, we gave cheap possession away”. I’m not going to have a go at the man’s bad grammar, but I AM going to have a go at the fact he (rightly) gave the players a bollocking after the Birmingham debacle, yet won’t hold his hands up when he makes a mistake himself. True, he might not make many, but a little humility wouldn’t hurt the big-headed bastard after he rambles on about how the players have got to stop believing the praise they’ve been receiving.

No comments: